About Kids Yoga
Our children live in a hurry-up world of busy parents, school pressures, incessant lessons, video games, malls and competitive sports, not to mention constant sitting in bad posture, wrong diet and lack of sport activity. All these are stress factors for the body and mind. Yoga at an early age encourages self-esteem and body awareness with a physical activity that is non-competitive. It fosters cooperation and compassion instead of opposition.
Duration of a kids yoga class varies from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the age group (3-5, 5-8, 8-14, above 14). Children learn yoga asanas, breathing techniques, meditation practices, chanting, playing games and doing group activities to help their development. All the elements of an adult class are there, but presented and performed in a different, rather playful way.
While doing yoga, children exercise, play, connect more deeply with the inner self, and develop an intimate relationship with the natural world that surrounds them, learning how to honour themselves and each other and recognise their part in the delicate web of life.
* It increases flexibility, strength, coordination and body awareness.
* It improves focus and concentration and increases brain capacity, helping kids to achieve better results at school.
* It teaches kids how to release accumulated tension, gives them tools to understand and control their emotions, calm down and let go of anger.
* It prevents various illnesses, diseases and health issues and helps create healthy habits.
* It boosts confidence and self-esteem, teaching kids how to love and accept themselves from an early age.
* It builds children's connection with nature and makes them appreciate and respect it.
* Meditation and visualization practices help children to conserve their existing connection to their own self, helping them find a place they can always withdraw to and providing them with techniques they can use to switch off and recharge in order to be able to live their lives with a clearer mind.
* Chanting and positive affirmations help to create a positive mindset and let go of negativity.
* Games and partner yoga poses teach noncompetitiveness; they encourage cooperation and compassion instead of opposition, helping children learn that we are all different, and despite these differences we are all valuable, respectable individuals.
About the teacher
Orsi, the teacher, has been teaching kids of all ages at the local Vidya Aranya school, and is passionate about creating classes which encourage students to explore various aspects of yoga. You can view her full profile here. She is available for private or group bookings, please contact us for details.
In our rushed contemporary life, we tend to spend less and less time with our families, working long hours and forgetting the importance of quality time with the loved ones. A family yoga class is a perfect way to bond with your kids, to get to know them better and do something fun together as well as build a strong family unit. A strong family breeds well-adjusted children who are positively connected to those who love them and are empowered to reflect that love out into the world.
The classes are usually 60 minutes and combine elements of adult and kids yoga. Most of the practices are done in groups or with partners, making sure that the parents also get all the benefits of a yoga class. You can expect a lot of fun, and a bit of a workout, too!
Family yoga classes promote positive communication, respect and better family bonds. They help to reduce stress, solve problems and find a way to recognise and listen to each other's needs.
You can enquire or book a private session here.